Wednesday, January 6, 2016

HOW TO MASTER A SONG - 7 Steps to Loud!, FAT,

HOW TO MASTER A SONG - 7 Steps to Loud!, FAT, & In Your Face


<h2>HOW TO MASTER A SONG - 7 Steps to Loud!, FAT, & In Your Face</h2><br />
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0FpX200S1s[/youtube]

well good
in the next few minutes
on the show you how to take your track
sounding like this
to
this the good
hi I'm Rupp
fact that you watching this video means
ominous seem that you have a similar
problem to work I had a couple years ago
and that's that out work on a track
that's been
hours have painstaking tweaking and
China get the perfect sound
and eventually I'd get it to a point
where idk I then the sounds fantastic
and soul I put it up against one of my
favorite quotes and going to be totally
honest with you
Salone harassing answer I want to give
you a cap leaky techniques
principles and adult tips and tricks
that I have picked up
along the way from trial and error and
also from
kinda learning from the masters and so
that you can put them into practice
and get your tracks on in in a big fat
full loud
and just as good as all the other
commercial stuff that day
is not really the point we all want our
tracks to compete with the best
and to sound the best so I'm gonna do
two things:
the first thing I'm gonna do is that's
when I give you a little overview
a what purpose if maastricht years you
know what actually is moisture
what are we trying to achieve because as
the old saying goes
you can't win a game that you don't
understand and most people
just don't understand even what my
string is know what do we actually even
doing
and then secondly I wanna take you
through the whole martian process that I
you step by step
it's that you can see exactly what I'm
doing at each phase
and that you can replicate that could
put them into practice itself
so of course the on many different ways
to muster
and I'm just gonna show you the way that
I figured out over the years and that's
gotten me the most consistent results
don't focus too much on the exact
software
pagans amusing is just what I use at the
moment
but you can get great results with you
know any program radiant any good plans
and there are many good ones out there I
really want you to get
is the principles and the techniques in
a minute show you so
you know don't worry so much about that
it's the TV stereo Weidner
just get the idea that United I'm using
hysteria Weidner
and that you can use a similar one for
your sound
okay so why my string why do we must the
tracks
and you know what is mustering well
moshing is the final process
I love coming in Hans man's and tweets
it we make to track
before it gets released I don't see the
all
mp3 if you bring in the iTunes Store
whatever so
that's why so much emphasis is put on it
that's why it's so important
so I know a lot of guys think that the
whole purpose if mushing is just to make
your track
as loud as possible and that really
isn't the purpose at all
that's one of the advantages but
images break it down into five reasons
why we won a monster track
the first reason is it's the final check
to last chance he gets to check through
the track
and make sure there's no noise make sure
there's no kind of clicks or pops
you need to listen to it on a lot of
different systems and he with that
sounds like
to that's the first reason the second
one is consistency
you wanna check it out on number of
systems you want a child in the car
you wanna try it Union iPod you want to
try it
on a laptop in your your home steer on a
whole bunch a different systems
to make sure that it sounds you know
consistent and it's not you base your
own one it's up to you
Haasan another one so just to make sure
that
you know all the frequencies are kinda
balanced on all the difference playback
systems
the third purpose is in Hans mint
and this is just anything that makes two
tracks sound better
so you know my p likey cute weeks it
might be some
like exciters all like Sid bass peace
and in the stage as well if you think a
lot is better
then it's better the fourth purpose in
Los chain
is album Flor and obviously this is in
the context of a whole album
and this kind regards to you how the
tracks flow from one to the next
you know the spaces in between them is
the gap
or did effluent each other and you also
things like
you don't want this really loud rocks on
next to this really quiets on the same
level
do you want the sub some to sound
relatively softer
and that's just one of the purposes of
maastricht
the fifth and final phase is the
formatting
and this is involved all that kinda the
little admin things like
naming the tracks putting in some
Kenneth codes in case you want
the names to come up in the album cover
to come up in some media players
and and also just the final form at the
G-seven
this whole thing to you know is going to
see is it going to mp3
and this would be done in this fun
formatting face
so to areas that I'm gonna focus on
today
are basically two and three which is the
consistency
and in Hans mint so the consistency
getting it to sound good the matter what
you play it on an enhancement
although tips and tricks to getting its
signing as good as possible
and of course as loud as possible let's
head on over now to Pro Tools and I'm a
show you the seven-step process now
in practice
alright so here we are in Pro Tools does
the software I use
but like I mentioned there's a lot of
different good software out there
and a lot of great plugins out there so
don't get too caught up on that
I'm gonna give you the basic category
names at the plugins
so you can use one that's similar that
you may have
so a broken-down the process of getting
mosser that's loud in fact and I've
taken then a broken it down to seven
steps into the seven-step
formula that you can follow to get these
results yourself
now I'm trying to cram something that
should take I can
our to you into the next 10 minutes so
I'm gonna have to be like a rainy brief
but let's get right to it and we'll see
how we go
so step one is the preparation
what you gonna need is a stereo mix like
I've gotta be here
and would also recommend you bring in
are two or three reference tracks have
got just
and old fray song yet and and all
Daughtry song
as well I just try and choose things
that have a similar kinda
composition and sound to what I'm going
for they're not ideal but
bill D for this now what you may notice
just right up front is that these look
quite different to this if I make this
the same size as your nose right away
that's you can just see that this one is
actually and just from looking at
at it you can see that it's a lot faster
and bigger and that's what we ought to
try to get to this is what I must
attract looks like
and this one over here what we gonna do
is began to try and chop
of these peaks over here entrance course
this whole thing down.
to get it to you looking like that but
more importantly sounding like that
alright so get a reference tracks in
get your stereo makes and one final
thing I just want to mention
is that's you know try to mix with art
studio monitors
is kinda like china painting the doc you
are you doing something but don't quite
know what it is
it's really difficult so ideally you
want some studio monitors
quickly some speakers add to make some
headphones just
gonna make your life a really difficult
step 2
I call fix it otherwise known as
polishing the Ted
now polishing a turd is a very technical
term
for kind of trying to fix something that
really shouldn't be fixed
and if you're not familiar with that
saying
this is kinda saying in the industry
that goes Yukon polish a turd
which basically just means that the
matter how much you try and fix a bad
recording
or bad mix it's still a battle corning
it's still a bad mix
it's still a turd so ideally done ready
12
you know you'd want to go back to the
mix phase or the reporting phase even
try and fix it there
but inevitably they might be things that
you have to fix
and at least you need to watch out for
so just a couple things to look out for
obvious things like X is Norway's
special in the beginnings in the ins and
stuff
on the quiet parts things are harsh some
bowls or s is you know the sound that
posts I jumping out at you and does
you also on that line different
frequencies may be jumping out
maybe like a certain bass note like
jumping out to the mix
and he's wanna be a way ever since
because if possible it's better to go
back to the mix and fix them
then try and polish this thing right
with that said let's get right into it
so images play your little piece of the
song
and quickly compare to you you know the
reference checks that I have here see
you can just see where we at
the starting place and another
commercial tracks not release postpaid
in bed
no it's all in the name education you
don't tell
I went to so let's get right to it she
has a little snippet of the track
that we about to moss and now
and this is of course with no plugins on
right now completely clean
images show you the levels have been
lost attracted I'm comparing the two
Cirque of course we are miles out still
but that's as fun because we haven't
started yet
so that takes me to step 3 which is
in Hans its now in this phase these are
all the things that we gonna do to the
track
just gonna make it sound better maybe
clean up the birds
maybe just add a bit of something to it
may be fattened up a bit and I believe
EQ on the top pain to bring it out son
let me just get a ride into it now and
show you some other plugins are used in
this phase
the first one to put on is just a
standard
EQ than a minute put a high pass filters
on
now all this is doing is just taking all
the frequencies below a certain points
and just basically taking the knots
and sitting in ready low on minutes at
forty hurts
and the slope isn't too much and is just
to clean up any
potential low in rumble is just nothing
down there that's that useful
fall a pop rock song ninety doing
something that's going to be paid in the
club or hip-hop song or something
Dame you probably don't wanna do this
because you want all that learned in you
<br><br>
want
some you know it's going to be played in
a place it's actually gonna make you so
that
for this kinda track it's not that
useful so
I just kinda do it maybe I'm too
superstitious but I just put it in there
alright the next thing a minute add is
some bold emulation
not this is just said involving me later
by
duty and think you get different you
know you get a couple different
companies that do similar things and
all this is gonna do use to his fat nap
the mix a little but
it had some low-end am so to meet that I
that I like it's very subtle once again
all these processes
and there's something to keep in mind
like is in one
to have magic bullet that's going to
bring this whole thing together and you
can go wow that's incredible
its all these little the little emphasis
is an easel
changes that are gonna come together and
culminating into you
make the final muster some really great
so I don't think you even hear it for
pared back up lazy something that
quickly
as well as on a
Bob Fawcett
and on again so much if you'll even pick
that up
especially if you're listening on
smaller speakers or something like that
but it does add something in the end it
does thicken it up a little bits
and I do hear something on there the
next thing a minute add
is a tape emulator and
just Edin over here I don't use all
these in this exact same way for every
single some
you know the is no one perfect way to
muster
this is just the way that I'm doing it
for the Sun and
kinda gives you a lot of different ideas
of what you can put in yourself
so the tape also set up add some bottom
end
ads like a little bit need to it and
settle
as situation to the track and
I like it kinda for more tentative rocky
songs because
just gives it some I'm night it's almost
like what form does
it's almost like foam verses digital
camera like this so shoots
no big budget movies and form for that
very reason it just adds a certain
quality that you can't quite
put your finger on so this is what the
the tape on
muses Bach party cooking
nominee put it on
so and if you can hear that as well but
it's also just thinking at Apple little
bits
make its little bit fatter
next because the tape serve takes
of some other top in that makes it a
little bit dull I mean
add a little bit haven't EQ and it's
nice to do this
anyway just a little bit of sheen on the
top and
very very settle a minute she ending one
DVD at like 16k this is the
waves cue clone and I just like this one
because it's a very transparent EQ
but you can't use any shelf also on any
EQ
I go back to this one over here this is
a maybe something more like that you
have
and you know you just go like that you
select a shelf need to stick it up like
that
so you can use any cue for this but I'm
just using this one
and this is as a little bit a sheen
that's if you'll notice this one in your
said about posited first and then I'll
activities
K once again very subtle know it may be
just brings out those
those high it's just very slightly and
but it to my is maybe I'm just imagining
it but
it does something alright next a minute
at a plugin
called max base this is also about waves
and what this is for is you can see this
blue area over here
this is pass symbolizing the base that
in the track at the moment I'm sorry use
a preset to be a medium
and what it's doing is it's actually
emulating and adding frequencies
that a higher in this higher soda
low-mid range
and what this is gonna do is gonna make
the song sound factor
on smaller systems on like iPod
headphones and things like that
listen if you doing stuff like hip-hop
an
or things like that it is amazing this
plane because
know often we lose those perfect miso
the track and it's not because those
frequencies on there but they do so low
that
love speakers aunts actually even
reproducing them
so images play you the two for one of
two with this one on
spread from you this is with on No
Reebok Boston
on
to his deaf me something they're just to
give you add some perspective images
pappas
all the ones that are good at the moment
and images page
right in a min activate the ones we got
so far
see can hear that it's definitely
sounded thick it is definitely a
take a quality to it right next to man
head
paid little bit of compression like very
just attacks
when I'm ready doing has just tronic
clue the track to get a little bit
because as you can see there is one more
way it's much colder
literally want like 10 to be he's gained
ouch
and before I forget a message is gonna
drop my input at the beginning
just the a would've with advice here
when you are exporting on makes kinda
wanna aim for around minus sixty be
this one might be slightly hot these
peaks are probably going to -3 -2 you
butts you need some room to play with
yes I'm just gonna drop my first plague
in here
to use a.m. at same honest
two-and-a-half
too silly me some more headroom and
obviously this is going to affect the
inputs all these plugins especially the
compressor
so just before calibrate
KC Kansas see it's just touching it just
wanna kiss the compressor
just blew the track to get a little bit
more alright the next thing I wanna add
is a stereo wachner I use their duties
wide
really like this one it add something to
the track find instead of just widening
it seems like push it past it is %uh the
speakers
and I really like that's and achievement
has put it on as I'm playing in your
head kick in
so you can hit should have like just
spreads it hard to believe brings upon
your face was with at all
and on
or
and I'm
so I really like that and you know if
you've got a check to just wanna make
sound a little bit larger than life
that is fantastic for that alright so
that pretty much covers then Hans
midsection
all these things we use now we're to
enhance the track
right step for is compress it now
I know I used to compress earlier but
there was more to stick glue the track
together just slightly and more than
enhancement
this is not gonna be your main
compressor or compresses
I like to use a multi-band compressor
especially with something that's an
that's a bit bigger like this said let
me just default the soviet his era
and I was gonna choose a preset to get
me going
you know once again I'm going over this
really quickly I'm really cramming the
Senate just getting
this is like fast food ma string this am
sums and put an altar
and such now let me just show you what I
do with this
so what does multi-band compressor
basically is just for those who don't
know
is instead of like this one compressing
the whole mix
together the multi-band compressor
breaks it up
in two different frequency socket and
she's so each frequency if you listen
your
the right see can t hear that it's
broken a nap
and I can compress each on these
frequencies differently
so why you'd wanna do that's is that
you may not want to compress the
mid-range which is the most obvious part
of the mix like with the vocals on stuff
and you don't compress that as much
because it'll sound
obviously compressed but you want to
compress the low base
so that sounds really feted even though
it's not disappearing
and so that's just kinda have basically
what you doing with that
and what I'm gonna do this in a final
out a section of the song
generally you wanna play with this a
little bit more but I'm just going to
show you what I'm doing your
send a reset these the display way
but like I said you probably wanna play
with it a bit more you wanna
in a let it go for a while longer and
apps giving myself some more headroom
nearby
dropping the input that butts
what this is doing is that this is
giving me the peaks a
each of these frequency ranges and what
I'm gonna denies annum
I'm gonna put these in as the thresholds
so that's 13 points 3
7.6
9.9 in
to 23.22
and the reason wanting debts is that's
each are these bans has a difference
and kinda peak so you don't leave it
flat to the wise different ones are
gonna be
over compressed and others and a
compressed so you wanna get to you
so did the the level that day are
peaking at
now wanna do something to bring that
whole lot down
just to start compressing and you'll see
it started kicking
more bring down the threshold
the mortal compressed issue
serb gonna get too crazy
and it's a sign in all the top-heavy
year
said the spill it all
hang on
seeking here really does asset it make
it a lot clearer and
and just brings it all together ready
nice for big songs big rock songs and
stuff
and let me just throwing it once again
that every song is different
and you know if you doing something like
have Miller in the music
or back classical music or something you
probably not gonna go
this crazy you know this is kind of a
rock song these pop rock
so you know it's kind of a big song and
we really want to bring it out tonight
suit sets so it you just gotta do a
works for the track
rights then step 5: is
clip its now what we gonna do here
is if you see all these peaks over here
we wanna
chopped these of in order to get to like
that but we don't wanna HD
distorted you know but pushing in about
because that doesn't sound good
kinda sounds like like click so we wanna
you something that crips it and it
sounds good
and this is actually wanted the secrets
that the monster engineer pros use
and how they get these the song so loud
is that they are actually
driving in three these really expensive
converters
now I don't have really expensive
converters
an ominous seen by the fact that you
watching this video that you don't have
either
so I use this plugin from T-rex ants
I found it works quite well so what I'm
gonna do you have for years I'm just
going to put it
on the right side which is this shop
slope over here
which means that it's gonna cap of these
peaks as opposed to this
and surrounded wanna be here which will
slowly saturate the track
so we want to chop these of demo I'm
gonna bring down
are put to still need me some room for
my limits on the next phase
and then to play the track and slowly
push it
pushed game
day
as you can see the kids not needing it
bypassed -3
where you can see this in the leads a
just chomping at all
all right sir
images plates by policy give you that
sounds like
and then on
so we'll leave it at their for now that
should be fine then
step 6: is limited and this is the lost
plugin that you use
if you use nothing else none of these
other ones are
you know essential but you almost up
always going to use the limits a
even if it's just slightly and what this
does
is we gonna set the final out seeing
some acidity -0.1
which means that is not going to let it
go past -0.1
rights as eras clipping so we just going
just below that
then Christmas said the quantization 216
bets because
in a CD audio is 16
forty 4.1 and then as we drop this
threshold
it'll start to you you know limited more
and more I just summits at is that this
is actually a multi-band limiter
too similar to the compressor in except
that it's actually limiting each band
and unique designing the wrong with
using a standard one in fact that
I sometimes do this is the waves all
three the waves I'll choose the one that
isn't the multi-band 1
and so yet those ones are just as good
and there's a lot of great limit is out
there that you can find
I'm just going to use this one for today
to let me play it and start to drop the
threshold
then
the
rights with of bosses
saddam
alright so as you can't hear that
you know these final plugins especially
the multi-band compressor the clipper
and the limited these already way the
leverage is that when it comes to you
getting the volume if that's what you're
after and
now I'm gonna kind of assume that that's
a people kinda like these day sir
if that's what they liked you gotta give
them what they want and
but name is dead it's not necessarily
better like I've said
not just sounding like maybe a little
bit brittle little bit then the business
development
bring up the loans yeah day that
right so it's coming along look it's so
need some worked so need some tweaking
it's not perfect butts it will in time
get a bit better
images quickly compare to some unease
other monsters these are the reference
references just to see where we at in
terms of volume and sound caliber
sums gonna play some %uh that that
the
the the
all right said you can hear we getting
pretty close their
and just something to you at tonight
if your track is sounding louder then
a commercial record you doing something
wrong and it's just a little bit of a
warning sign
that you probably not doing something
right
and usually it has to do with the low
end because it's easy to get a song
allowed
and saw a black harsh sounding but to
get it lout
and fats that is the challenge you know
because the life frequencies are waters
is taking up you know most the space so
that's just kinda the something to be
aware of so basically that is mustering
in a nutshell
and just the final step is then to go
reference it no one of the advantages
that the pros have
that they've got a whole bunch of
different monitors in the studios that
they can listen back on instantly
what I like to do is I like to hook up
like a small radio and have my
headphones to listen on all the
different references
to get an idea and so you know if you
don't have that
just put the track on you it on your
iPod to put on a CD
and just go around and listen to it
everywhere in the CAW on something with
subwoofer
so that you can hear what that sounds
like and don't make final decisions
based on that
but if you notice that say on like four
different systems
the base is too high and the bases then
probably too high
and all these good sign in to them in
all the different systems
then it probably is too thin and so
that's just something to be aware of
and also you know volume isn't
everything
rather get it sounding couldn't get
great quality and don't worry that much
about the volume
and that's not the most important part
and just one final tip
to is get tired so you can listen for
hours and hours and hours in indiana
try and listen at a low volume you know
I really done lost a lot at all
but the Senate low volume especially
when you make me tweaks
and then also make sure that you listen
railey high volume in Grady soft as well
because it sounds very different and the
frequency ranges sound different 28
years
so by doing that you can hear the whole
spectrum
and hopefully in the end you end up with
a great signing master
and thats mustering in a nutshell
all right sir thanks for joining me I
really hope you've learned something
that you can put into practice really
taking losses to the next level
if you got any questions just post them
below Hans as many as I can
and hope you must Sign In great to TC
the



Interview with Paul Jackson Jr. "Extra: His Equipment"


<h2>Interview with Paul Jackson Jr. "Extra- His Equipment"</h2><br />
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYwJPKsK5dI[/youtube]

this one talk about this guitar
<br><br>
a little bit is acting my ipod
left his yes 3/4
would
shot by wire hit hard
fire gold
very nice the mud reading
laugh movin on
when and where him on

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.