How to adjust the volume on Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 / GT-I9505
Swipe down from the notifications bar, tap the "Settings" icon
Tap the "My device" tab
Tap "Sound"
Tap "Volumes"
Drag the slider handle to adjust different type of volume
Tap "OK"
Method 2:
Press the volume key
Tap the "Settings" icon beside the slider handle
Drag the slider handle to adjust different type of volume
How to Mix a Snare Drum with Parallel Processing
Hey, what's up guys? David Glenn of DavidGlennRecording.com
and theproaudiofiles.com. Today I'm going
to be talking to you about how I'm using aux
tracks to give a greater level of control
when doing parallel processing. We're going
to be doing some parallel compression, some
distortion, a little bit of widening, some
cool things to the snare drum in this track.
The song is called 'Champion.' It's by Pablo
Villatoro, a good buddy of mine. My production
partner is Vic Encarnacion out of Chicago,
Illinois. This is unreleased, so pretty stoked
to be able to play this for you guys. I'm
going to hit play and then we'll dive into
what we're doing on
the snare.
All right, cool. Diving right into the snare
drum here, I want to go over a couple of things.
Try to avoid the rabbit trails. The snare
is going out to a snare level. The snare level
is an aux. It's down here. You can take a
look at that. That's coming in snare level,
self-explanatory.
What I'm doing is I'm parallel compressing.
That's right here, that snare comp. So, the
snare dry and the snare compression... Actually,
pull that guy up. I'm going to show you the
Waves SSL with the Dave Pensado snare setting.
They are meeting at this guy, and the snare
compression are meeting at snare level.
What that does for me is, first of all, it
gives me an extra layer of processing. I can
compress the crap out of it, blend in that
parallel compression. Then, use the aux, the
snare level, to EQ it, maybe compress it a
little more, send it to some effects, I think
we're sending it to the snare plate, and control
some things in there, process it that way.
But, then I also use it for level. It's called
the snare level for a reason. From section
to section, from the verse to the pre-chorus
to the chorus, whatever I've got going on,
it gives me an extra layer of control over
the volume as well and then panning, any kind
of cool stuff that I do with automation.
Let's take a look at what exactly we've got.
Let's take a listen. Let's go through a couple
of things. The snare drive by itself... Let's
mute the reverb. It was given to me like this.
Cool. I like the sample, but in the track...
Cool. Not bad. But, I felt like I could mangle
that a little bit and get something cooler
out of it. Let's put that volume back where
it was. Let's pull in the snare compression
and the distortion. The compression is kind
of... Lifted it up a little bit. The distortion...
Let's hear it before distortion. After distortion.
Now, let's also hear it... The distortion,
you can see right here, snare distortion,
and I've processed that with the Manny Marroquin
Distortion. Love this plugin. I'm using it
on all kinds of stuff now. Actually, leave
that up for you guys if you want to jot down
the settings if you like them.
Then, the snare distortion is going to a widener.
The widener is a trick I picked up. Year ago
I was on the Digidesign Forum, The Duck. Kenny,
some of you guys know him from his tutorials
over at Groove3 and whatnot, posted a... Actually,
let me just show it to you, delay 35 milliseconds
on the left, 35 milliseconds on the right.
What that did was it created a widening or
a spreading effect. Some of you guys may not
have the Waves S1 or any of that. You may
want to try giving this a shot, 35 milliseconds
on the left, 35 on the right, like I said.
Some people I've seen will do that a little
bit different. But, how it was taught to me
was it was exactly like this, zero percent
wet on the left and 100 percent wet on the
right.
What we'll do is we'll go back up here and
we'll listen to a before and after. Now we've
got that snare in. Here's the distortion with
no widener. Then, let's add the widener.
Cool. All kinds of stuff you can do. Actually,
in this track, this is an unfinished version
of it. Mixed it last week. I think what I
actually did was bypassed it for the first
hit and then un-bypassed it for the second.
So, you can automate it to come in and out
to create kind of a cool effect.
Let's jump ahead a little bit to the hook.
I added a clap into the hook from the machine
bundle. Let's take a listen to that by itself
before any processing. Okay. Let's bring some
of the goodness back in.
Yeah, you couldn't even really hear it before
because most of the sound's coming from that
parallel compression. Anyway, distorted on
that, and then that's also going to the widener.
Let's hear that before the widener. And, after.
Very cool. Let's hear the two together. Yeah,
I really like that.
One last thing. Let's show you I've got the
plate muted there. Very cool.
I'm trying to think. Let's see. Let's look
at why I've got this automated up. I talked
about how you can use it as an extra layer
of processing, but let's talk about this.
We've got this snare in the verse. Let's listen
to the tail end of this section, and then
when the pre-chorus hits you'll notice a lot
more elements.
The arrangement was done really well, so a
lot of more... A lot of more? Goof. A lot
more elements come in and the snare kind of
got lost. So, I lifted it up, but I didn't
want to lose that blend that I had from the
dry snare and the parallel compression that
I set it at. What I did is I just lifted that
on the snare level track. Let's 'take a listen
to that. Very cool.
Man, I hope that gives you guys some ideas
kind of open ended going down some rabbit
trails with it. Parallel compression, some
distortion, the level giving me that last
kind of creative step to choose EQ, compression,
effects. It's going to a UAD snare... UAD
snare? UAD plate. Man, just all kinds of good
stuff.
If you guys didn't check out the one on the
vocal, I took care of that in a previous video
so feel free to check that one out. Similar
things going on, but it's a vocal. I'm going
to continue on with bass and kick.
I'll keep making these videos if you guys
keep watching them. Feel free to hit me up
at David[at]DavidGlennRecording.com. If you
have any questions, anything you'd like me
to elaborate on further in future videos,
feel free to shoot me a message and we'll
go from there. I hope you guys are doing well,
and we'll catch you soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.